Congratulations on completing your CoolPeel treatment! CO2 lasers are the gold standard in treating wrinkles, age spots, acne scars, and other blemishes as well as tighten skin and balance tone. Damaged skin tissue is removed, or ablated, stimulating new collagen production and heat energy is delivered to tighten the skin.
Your CoolPeel treatment will deliver a fractional ablative treatment with minimal social downtime. You should expect to be red, as if you have a sunburn for a couple of days. Your skin may feel dry and scaly as it heals so it is important to keep it hydrated. Proper pre and post-care is an important part of the treatment and will help to ensure the best possible results.
Before Your CoolPeel Appointment
- Discontinue all products containing Retinol for one week prior to treatment. Avoid sun exposure for 4 weeks prior to procedure. In addition, please refrain from applying self-tanner for at least 1 week prior.
- Patients should be off Accutane for a minimum of 6 months prior to treatment.
- Please arrive to your appointment with clean skin.
- If prescribed, start anti-viral medication 1 Day Before Treatment- Valacyclovir 500 mg po twice daily x 7 days (Dispense #14).
- Men should have a cleanly shaven face the night before or the morning of procedure. There should be no visible stubble.
After Your CoolPeel Appointment:
- A sunburn sensation may linger for 12-24 hours after the procedure is completed.
- Keep a very thin layer of Aquaphor on as needed for up to 3 days. Do not let the skin dry out.
- Avoid makeup and sunscreen for a minimum of 48 hours post-procedure. After this time, mineral makeup and sunscreen are recommended.
- Sleep with a clean pillowcase and head slightly elevated. Mild swelling may occur upon wakening for the first 48 hours post-treatment.
- Avoid applying ‘active’ ingredients to skin for 3-4 days- this includes Benzoyl Peroxide, Salicylic Acid, Alpha-Hydroxy Acid (AHA), Beta-Hydroxy Acid (BHA), Retinol, Vitamin C, and Alcohol-based toners.
- Avoid direct sunlight for 48 hours after your treatment.
- You may resume retinol products 7 days after your procedure.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for 24 hours after your treatment.
- Avoid hot tubs, saunas, and steam rooms for 1 week post procedure.
- Use clean, disposable, breathable face masks for 72 hours after treatment.
- To reduce the risk of infection: new onset of redness, warmth, or swelling; whitish to yellowish film on treated area, with or without foul odor; fever greater than 100.3 degrees Fahrenheit.
- We cannot stress enough how important it is to protect your investment and to continue to improve your skin. At a minimum, the following products are recommended to start using 1 week post treatment: A Medical-grade topical antioxidant with growth factor: we love SkinMedica TNSA+ or Neocutis Bio Serum, no less than 30 SPF+ sunscreen, and .5 or greater retinol in your daily skincare routine. You can take advantage of a 10% discount on all products on the day of treatment.
Please call or e-mail our office with any questions or concerns: